Virtually an entire year has passed since we started our weekly hikes; a couple of weeks ago we returned to Mt Charleston and repeated the very first one we did, the Mary Jane Falls Trail. I remember this being pure torture. I remember coming very close to turning back at least four times, and for some reason I remember the switch backs up the mountain side going on and on and on, seemingly forever. I'd been convinced we'd never actually arrive at the the falls. The first time around I probably wouldn't have been so out of breath if I hadn't been so busy whining. Apparently, I'm a bit of a drama Queen. On our second attempt I learned that there are thirteen switch backs, not four thousand as I had originally estimated. It turns out that the trail really isn't that hard after all.
The base of the Falls
|
Upon arriving at the Falls we noticed a cave to our left and, since Ryan is magnetically drawn to any kind of cave he lays his eyes on, we naturally had to climb over to it. It was fun to find a new twist to the hike, especially since there was hardly any water in the falls this year.
Keeping her energy up with her favourite fruit snacks
|
Enjoying the little bit of snow that's up there this year
|
Reaching out to feel the water droplets
|
What a difference a year makes. Life is so different with a toddler vs an infant. We used to climb to the top with the sole aim of making sure Charlotte was fed before she got too hungry. Did we have burp cloths packed? Did we need a blanket? Would she be warm enough? Did we have an extra outfit just in case? The neurotic new baby check list goes on and on. But, there's something about a toddler that allows you to relax (as long as they're not teetering next to the edge of the trail, of course). We can just step back and and watch her enjoy her surroundings; it's so much fun to watch her play and explore. When she was younger, she'd fall asleep in the back pack and it was adorable. Now instead of sleeping she's playing clapping games as we walk, handing out high five's, and giggling as she reaches over to kiss you. She definitely kept the journey back down the mountain interesting. And since it was Ryan's turn to carry the back pack, life was pretty good.




No comments:
Post a Comment