Monday, December 10, 2012

LET THEM EAT CAKE


Halloween festivities started earlier than I'd anticipated this year. It was the first week of October, long before thoughts of a costume for Charlotte had even crossed my mind, that we were invited to a Trunk or Treat at a local community centre. I'd seen a really cute cupcake costume in a catalogue but it came with a ridiculous price tag. Of course, I'm not crazy enough to spend $60 on a fancy dress costume, so I had the really bright idea of making my own version (because staying up long past my bed time surrounded by hot glue sticks and felt isn't crazy at all).

I'm  really not crafty. I have ideas that look really good when I'm imagining them in my head, but when it comes to actually making them happen something tends to get very lost in translation. This project was no exception and I nearly gave up on at least three occasions, but since I'd already opened the packet of hot glue and couldn't return it either way, I figured I might at well see it through. It started out involving many more colours, but in the end I gave up on green and purple sprinkles and stuck with varying shades of pink and brown. It turned out that less was more.


If I was crafty and had any idea what I was doing I imagine I would have thought to wrap the fabric around Charlotte before I started so I knew how big to make the dress. And I probably would of checked that the neck hole would actually fit her head through it before the morning of the Trunk or Treat. Thankfully, I had some serious beginners luck and by pure fluke, it was a perfect fit.

Sporting her rather stylish candy collecting bag



Charlotte really wasn't a fan or gathering sweets from perfect strangers, some of whom had put together seriously gory displays in their cars, but it's now November and she's still enjoying dressing up in the costume; home made or not, I think we're getting our moneys worth!




No comments:

Post a Comment