Monday, October 20, 2014

WAIT....WHAT?

So I didn't run in the Ragnar because I was pregnant. As it turned out, I was far more pregnant than I realized- four times more pregnant, actually.

At 7 weeks I had an early ultrasound and, whilst I suspected there was more than one baby on the way from how much of a change I'd already seen in my belly, nothing could of prepared me for what we saw on the monitor. After lots of looking, and checking, and counting, and re-counting, our Dr. informed us that there were five sacks (Translation: Five babies). We listened to the heartbeats of three of them, completely in shock. The other two babies were smaller, no audible heartbeat yet. As we listened to those lighting fast heartbeats our Doctor, sensitive as ever, instructed us that we'd 'have to reduce. That's way too many.' 

Way to let the news sink in.  

We left the office in a daze, somehow managing to schedule a follow-up ultrasound in another two weeks. And that's about the point that we started taking it in turns to cry. Two weeks later a further ultrasound showed four babies, all with strong heartbeats, all at a usual size. The fifth baby hadn't progressed but the four that remained were all coming along strong. After the idea of five, four was a manageable number, right? The family could fit into a mini-van now- that was something! Our Doctor, sensitive as ever, joked, 'Well that's better, but still way too many. A couple are still going to have to go' (cue her laughter here). Yes, you're hilarious. 

I never thought I'd be thankful to have a 'high risk pregnancy' but every cloud has a silver lining and high risk status came with a new Doctor. There's a long story behind it but, ultimately, we decided not to reduce to twins as our new Doctor (more tactfully) also encouraged us to. So far we've made it to the 21 week mark with our quadruplets and, whilst I'm not entirely sure what on earth I'll do with them all, I'm so grateful that we get to have these children (three boys and girl, but whose counting) and desperately nervous and anxious that everything goes well, and we get to meet them all.


This is the closest we have to all four babies in one shot- Baby D, two more heads, and the 4th is hidden in that top dark pocket

9 Weeks along


10 Weeks along

13 weeks. This is what the belly looked like when Ryan left for ODS

15 weeks
18 weeks...and this is what I looked like when he got back 5 weeks later
21 weeks, and a long way to go...





At 21 weeks two of the boys weigh in at 15 oz, the third at 13 oz, and our little girl right in between them at 14 oz

To use Ryan's favorite new phrase 'Cray-cray'

1 comment:

  1. Totally cray! But very exciting. Looking forward to being an auntie to 9 soon!!

    ReplyDelete