Friday, September 26, 2014

DID IT FOR THE STICKER

A very effective way to get me to agree to something is to ask me about it in January. New starts, goal making, resolutions- it all goes to my head and I'm suddenly open to just about anything. This January was no exception, if anything my goals for the year were loftier than usual. So when Ryan's Aunt and Uncle asked us if we were interested in running the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay with them I was quick to reply in the affirmative (even though Ryan wasn't overly excited about the idea). 

Training for the race turned out to be a fun competition between the two of us though, and for the first few weeks of the year we'd check in with each other to see how many miles the other had run that week...with the obvious goal of trying to out-do each other. I was enjoying having a goal to work towards, especially since I'd passed on several races over the previous two years in hopes that I'd be pregnant by the start date...only I never was. And for Ryan, the extra running made his Military Physical Fitness tests a walk in the park. Of course, this didn't last for long- June was months away after all; we had plenty of time to get ready.

But, a month before the race it dawned on us that four weeks wasn't a lot of time! Our legs were set in stone and I was preparing for some serious uphills while Ryan was...well, Ryan, and he didn't really need practice- he could automatically go outside in the hot, hot sun and run and run and run. And all the while we were both wondering what I'd got us into. Four weeks to go, calves on fire. Three weeks to go, going further. Two weeks to go, getting faster. One week to go, spanner in the works. 

That thing I was hoping would happen that never did, it finally happened. And, since the last time I ran in a race while pregnant I miscarried the moment I got home, I knew I wouldn't be taking any chances and that training, or no training, the Ragnar was out of the question. Unfortunately for Ryan, there were no excuses, and even though it had been my idea, and even though he may not have been thrilled about it, he'd be representing the both of us. 

Ryan's uncle is an artist, and his wife can pretty much do everything really, ridiculously well; when they heard there was a competition for the best decorated Ragnar Van it was time to put their talents to use...and once we saw what they came up with it was clear that the team van would be winning by a landslide! That's real spray paint, and real commitment, and Charlotte is still talking about 'the Animal Van:


Poor signal meant we didn't hear much from our runners while they were gone, but Ryan surprised himself and had a great time, blisters aside. The team finished far earlier than they'd expected...and, if memory serves correctly, they finished in the top third of all teams taking part. Not too shabby for first timers. And, since the Animal Van naturally won the first place prize, the team can reunite to try to shave a few minutes off their time with free entry into the Vegas Ragnar.  


To remember their success everyone got a shiny orange medal, that all important sticker, and we'll always have the animal van. And, to take away the sting of disappointment that I wasn't able to run, Ryan took me for a drive to see what would of been my last leg of the race. Driving along the twelve mile stretch of winding uphill road, suddenly staying home and napping on the couch didn't seem so terrible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment