Monday, April 29, 2013

THIRTY, FLIRTY, AND THRIVING

I'm fairly sure that when my 30th birthday rolls around it'll be accompanied by tears, and the personal consumption of obscene amounts of cake, but when Ryan hit the big 3-0 recently he took it all in his stride. He even requested a miniature cake because he didn't want to go overboard. Our celebrations were about as low key as the cake, since his birthday landed on a Sunday slap bang in the middle of finals. 

With cries of 'Ooooh, presents!' Charlotte generously took over the unwrapping process and opened all of Ryan's presents for him. He was more gracious about it than I would have been:



Present opening was followed by Church, where I insisted he wear his 'Birthday Boy' badge. Ryan requested good old shepherds pie for dinner, which was closely followed by our favourite red velvet cake. In a stroke of pure genius I stored it upside down and the icing stuck to the box, resulting in this particularly sad looking cake shot:


I'm a regular Martha Stewart


All smiles at the start of decade number three:


Maybe it's the braces adding to his youthful good looks- possibly it's the distinctly non-receding hairline that he proudly points out to his brothers- or it could be something to do with the fact that his patients repeatedly tell him he looks too young to be in Dental School- whatever it is, Ryan wasn't phased by his latest birthday. As far as he's concerned it's a surreal milestone, especially when he's still acting like a teenager half the time at school with his buddies- I guess his choice of movie on his birthday was particularly apt- 13 going on 30. Sounds about right to me


No comments:

Post a Comment