Saturday, April 27, 2013

CAVITIES ON A STICK

We were pretty sparing with the Easter candy; not because we didn't buy a lot- we bought enough to give an army of toddlers a serious sugar rush- but because we thought better of that idea since we don't normally give Charlotte candy at all. We decided that a little would go a long way and in the end we loaded 12 eggs with a sprinkling of jelly beans, and put a couple of lollipops in Charlotte's Easter basket along with a chocolate bunny or two. More than enough for any two year old, especially a two year old whose Dad is more concerned than most about the 'sugar bugs' (teeth rotting properties) that accompany the sweets.  

Since we had a mountain of leftover goodies I decided to pack them up and save them for next year. (Who can resist year old jelly beans?) I piled the bags of sweets on the bar where I was sure they would be out of Charlotte's notice, and certainly well out of her reach if she did happen to see them. Then I got busy with the usual jobs and forgot about my plan to pack up the candy, so it sat on the bar, and it sat on the bar. 

One afternoon when I walked into the kitchen after putting the washing in the machine I noticed Charlotte pushing around a dining chair. "Where are you going with that, monkey?"
"I'm playing." 
It seemed like a pretty reasonable response.

Later that afternoon I asked Charlotte if she wanted to help take the recycling out to the garage, a job she usually loves to help with. She replied by telling me she was 'laxing' which is Charlotte speak for relaxing. I proceeded to the garage leaving her to her rejuvenation and noticed that the moment I left the kitchen she started moving the dining chair again. A pattern emerged; any time Charlotte was left alone, even for just a moment, she'd head for the kitchen and I'd undoubtedly return to find her pushing the chair around. 

And finally I figured out what she was up to. Walking down the stairs with an armful of laundry I found her standing at the bar. She'd moved the dining chair, the one with the booster seat attached so she could get some extra height, climbed up and was standing on her tip toes shoveling jelly beans into her mouth. Apparently, she'd been doing this every time I left the room but usually she managed to climb down and return the furniture before I knew what was going on. 

When she realized I was watching her she just grinned, 'I got candy!'

So, since I still hadn't found a box for the sweets I moved them upstairs, put them on the bed in the guest room and locked the door. The next morning I needed a shower. I set Charlotte up with some toys and some coloring, and left her to it for a few minutes. Shower over, I went to check on her and this is what I found:


There she was surrounded by two bags of jelly beans, a bag of M&M's and you can't see it in the picture but she's also sitting on a chocolate bunny. I don't think I'll ever know how she got the sweets out of a locked room, but I'll say one thing for this kid, she's definitely a problem solver!

3 comments:

  1. Literally laughing out loud at this one - such a crack up. One of my favourite parts is imagining her just sat there saying 'I'm laxing' (which sounds so cute by the way), all the while plotting to get the sweets. Smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle and I ot a big laugh out of this. He said he's never been so proud of his niece! :)

    ReplyDelete