Monday, January 28, 2013

PRE-SCHOOLING

Ryan considers himself to be something of a slave to Charlotte's musical education. The instruction started early with a thoughtfully compiled CD which serenaded her as we brought her home from the hospital. Her first ever car journey introduced her to Led Zeppelin, The Black Crows, and (in Ryan's opinion) the all important Buckethead. Of course she slept through the whole thing, but Ryan was convinced that, subconsciously, she was taking it all in.

These days her musical upbringing is far more interactive. Daddy's taught her how to head bang to Iron Maiden, and how to do a fist pump to the beat of Welcome to the Jungle.  His little Rock n' Roll girl seemed like she might fulfill his dreams of rocking out playing guitars together some day. Or so it seemed. Ryan can't explain it, but somehow the first songs she ever sang along to were both Taylor Swift numbers. She's only heard a couple of her songs, and she's only heard them a couple of times, but she'll merrily sing 'ever, ever, ever' to the never getting back together song, and lately she's replaced that with 'trupple, trupple, trupple' which we assume she's picked up from 'Trouble.' I think it's probably for the best though, I'm not sure the other little girls would know what to do with a toddler who likes to get the Led out.

The playlist tends to be a little different when Mummy's driving. I've taken to listening to whatever music I'll be playing during the class I teach. While we're driving to the supermarket it gives me the chance to mentally go over the exercises we'll be doing, perfecting the timing and the transitions of each. One track that we stretch and cool down to has proved a big hit with Charlotte. Much to her father's dismay she can't get enough of Il Divo's Time to Say Goodbye. The moment the song ends she demands 'Again!' until she gets her wish. If I play something different instead she'll say 'enough, enough!' until she hears the sound of those voices she loves. The song starts out quietly and Charlotte sits and whispers 'It's coming' until the crescendo at the end....and then we do it all over again.

I think she's getting a pretty well rounded education, whether Ryan likes it or not.

Here's Charlotte's favourite for your enjoyment:



1 comment: