Ryan has no desire to spring for two garage door openers (since that would be terribly extravagant) so we know when he's arrived home from school when we hear a double honk of the car horn. Charlotte immediately drops whatever she's doing, shrieks 'Daddy home!' and giggles hysterically as she runs to the garage door, where she waits, clapping and squealing as Ryan pulls into the garage. Of course, I'm just as happy, if a little less hysterical, that he's safely home with us.
On the afternoon in question the honks came a couple of hours earlier than usual. Since I was surrounded by a pile of clothes fresh from the tumble dryer I took Charlotte to the garage, opened the door, and returned to my folding while she yelped away in the usual manner. From where I was sitting in the living room I had no view of the garage whatsoever, but I was sure I heard more than one door close when the car engine had been turned off. And, come to think of it, wasn't there more than one voice I could hear? Charlotte was suddenly much quieter than usual, and I didn't hear her customary shouts of 'Daddy, I miss you!' Instead she came into the living room, peering around the corner in the direction she'd come before reaching her hand out to me.
Ryan rarely surprises me by bringing friends home from school unannounced, but it's certainly been known to happen, and always on a day when the house is in disarray. So when Charlotte's reaction told me that he hadn't arrived home alone, I scanned the scene before me and wondered how quickly I could make the room look half decent. Of course he would pick the afternoon when I'm surrounded by a mountain of washing to bring home a study buddy!
In walked Ryan, nonchalant, smiling, while Charlotte continued to peer around the corner. Who's here?! Imagine my surprise when in walked not some random guy from school, but my Mum! All the way from England, no less. Hugs were exchanged in complete amazement, there was more shrieking and laughter, and not just from Charlotte that time!
| Charlotte on one of our fun trips with Grandma |




No comments:
Post a Comment